5 ways to build confidence in children with ADHD
ADD/ADHD can destroy a child’s confidence. The article below gives some suggestions to help parents, teachers working with children with ADHD improve children’s morals and created for children to feel good about themselves.
Many children with ADHD patients have symptoms such as anxiety, depression and low self-esteem. The trouble often stems from the lack of control, young felt beyond what they had experienced. Dr. Steven Kurtz, director of clinical services of ADHD Research Institute at New York University, Center for research trial, NYU Medical School, said that these children feel they are putting much effort into something than with you, but they’re not worthy of a response and when you are not experiencing the success, you can’t build self-esteem.
According to Dr. Kurt, to raise children’s self-esteem increase attention, we need to adhere to a few simple guidelines, which is building the skills and reinforce these skills. To lay the foundation for the success of social communication and learning for children with ADHD, here are some suggestions to help to build the skills and self-esteem for a child.
- Focus on the strengths. The first step to built confidence for children with ADHD is to focus on our strengths. Dr. Kurtz advised that, if a child is naughty in school, parents try to find a few things outside the school that the child feels can succeed there. After the child is gaining more confidence, parents should provide regular reminders that it’s entirely possible to study well at school. At the same time, my parents more often associated with the children’s teachers at school to constantly motivate the academic strengths.
- Help in school. To support academic success, Dr. Kurtz said that the parents have to understand about the education law, and require the necessary support for their children. The parents and teachers must collaborate with each other to build a children’s school plan, which certainly includes the use of school supplies and guidance tailored to your level and needs of the child. That means that there are help on learning as a laptop or tape recorder available in the classroom to help children remember.
- Give positive indications. ADHD children have had to hear so many negative words about them because many people do not know how to change the problematic behavior to them. Parents often abuse the negative words like “no”, “not done”, “stop”, “come out”… In these cases, according to Dr. Kurtz, key samples points to note are the parents ask their children what their parents want their child to do not only what the parents want their child not to do. Children with ADHD need to know clearly the appropriate behavior or parents expect it will continue to act. Parents and teachers have to get out and for the inappropriate behavior and guide them the alternative behavior.
- Promote to success. This is a complex work, the steps are taught to children with ADHD, even the instructions with others seems to be very simple. Dr. Kurtz brought out a work that he undertook with a father whose daughter ADHD based on pointing out the behavior of the child. For example, the father told his daughter: “it’s time to take off the toy” and expecting the child to follow. But according to Dr. Kurtz, a better way would be: “Please, put toys away!”. Demand is shrinking is easier with older ADHD in the completion of the task. With ADHD children very hard toward the long-term goals. Making the instructions with the appropriate expectation will help your child build skills that benefit them in the long run.
- The use of rewards. In general, this is not a good idea for the parents when they want their children behaving well, but Dr. Kurtz believe that sometimes it can become a really useful tool for parents and teachers of children with ADHD. “Frankly speaking, I recommend that the parents and teachers so that they feel at ease when using the reward, the rewards can be very helpful in achieving positive behavior. As soon as the child recognizes the positive behavior, it will not need to add any more reward “.